This is a fun recipe that the little ones will enjoy just as much as the grown-ups. It is a lot of fun to make and to eat!
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CAKE
- (2 x 8” round tins)
- 3 beaten eggs -room temperate
- 175g Fair Trade caster sugar
- 175g unsalted butter – softened
- 150g self-raising flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Oil for greasing tins
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FUDGE TOPPING
- 100g Fair Trade milk chocolate
- 100g Fair Trade plain chocolate
- 200ml double cream
INGREDIENTS FOR THE DECORATION
- Block of white marzipan for moulding pig body parts
- Pink food colouring
- 21 Fair Trade Kit Kats – plus some extra in case of breakages
- Pink ribbon
BEFORE YOU BAKE
- Have fun moulding and making piggy body parts. These can even be made a day or two before and kept in a sealed container. Mix a very small amount of water with the pink food colouring and lightly paint marzipan.
- Grease tins and line bases.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy – gradually beat in eggs.
- Preheat oven to 180C or Gas Mark 4.
- Sieve flour / cocoa powder / baking powder into the bowl and fold into the creamed mixture.
- Divide mixture between the 2 cake tins and bake for 20-25mins or until firm. Once out of oven cool on a rack.
- Break both chocolate types in bowl and melt over pan simmering water.
- Remove and cool for 5-minutes until chocolate is slightly thicker. Slowly stir in cream. Leave mixture to thicken for 10-mins – but keep a close eye on it.
- Cakes should be completely cool before decorating commences. Spoon some of the fudge topping onto the top of one cake and then stick the two sponges together. Cover top and sides of cake with the remainder of the fudge topping – keeping it neat with a warmed spatula.
- Decorate side of cake with Kit Kats – quite tricky, you might need an extra pair of hands to assist. Once they are all on tie ribbon quickly to hold Kit Kats in place.
- Place marzipan pigs on top of cake decoratively.